Sunday 14 July 2013

The 5 Minute Exercise That Can Change Your Life

By


“Who will you have to become, to achieve all you want?” – Tony Robbins

Learn how to get Motivation and Inspiration HERE

Have you ever stopped to think about it? Do you have a clear vision of who you really want to be in this world?
I wasn’t sure either. I mean, I knew I wanted to be a good person and do big things,  but that was about it…
Then I was extremely fortunate to come across Brian Johnson’s Optimal Living 101 course (best class I ever took). During the class, we did a lot of amazing exercises, but perhaps the most powerful was the “Eulogy Exercise”.
In the 5 minutes it took me to do the exercise, I went from having a vague idea of who I wanted to become, to a clear picture of my “best self”. And an action plan on how I could start becoming more like it.

This exercise can be very powerful, so I sincerely hope you take 5 minutes time to do it. It could change your life.
Find out more about Motivation and Inspiration for Your Life HERE
***
Here’s the exercise.
Imagine that you’re at a funeral. You look around, and all your friends are gathered.
Suddenly, you realize that it’s actually your funeral.  It’s the part of the ceremony when your loved ones make their eulogy to you.
One by one, they get on stage and share what they admired most about you. Your best personality traits, the cool things you did in your life, the ways you made the world a better place.
Now come back to today, and think about what you really want people to be saying when your time comes.
How do you want to be remembered?
What person do you want to have become? How to you want to have lived your life?
Then you need take a good look at the way you are living right now: does it fit with your vision of your higher self?

Are you consciously building yourself into the person you want to become, or are you just drifting on auto-pilot?
***
When I first heard this exercise, I had to stop and gather my thoughts. This was a whole new way of looking at life. And I knew it was a meaningful one.
After thinking about all this for a few minutes, here’s what I wrote down in my journal.
When I die, here’s what I want people to say about me:
  •  Phil was a guy who made things happen and “went for it” in everything he did.
  • He faced his fears, took on massive challenges, and rose to the occasion.
  • He consciously tried to help others and make the world a better place.
  • He lived with enthusiasm, passion and integrity.
  • He had a good time & shared his love for life with others.
***
I wrote that 3 months ago now.

The extraordinary thing is, since I did the exercise, I feel like I’m becoming this person a bit more everyday. I’m still a looong way from where I want to be, but it’s an absolute thrill to know I’m walking on the right path, and to witness my dreams from 3 months ago materialize into my life.
This blog, as an example, is an idea that came to me after I did this exercise. If I hadn’t done the exercise, you wouldn’t be reading this right now. But it aligns with the Phil Drolet I envisioned (and with all 5 things I wrote in my journal), and that’s why I’m loving this project so much.
***
All right, your turn now! :)
If you want to get a clear vision of who you truly want to be, please take the Eulogy Exercise right now.
Grab a sheet of paper, and write down your thoughts. Best 5 minutes investment ever, promise.
Ready? Here we go.
When it’s time for your loved ones to make your eulogy..
How do you want them to describe you?
What kind of person do you want to have become?
What exceptional personality traits do you to have embodied through your life?

Go go go! Write everything that comes through your mind, don’t hold back. Have fun with it! :)
(You can do it in your head, but I guarantee you it’s not nearly as powerful.)
***
Got it? Awesome!
Now that you have a clear vision of who you want to become, here’s the next big question:
What can you do TODAY to start becoming that person?
You don’t choose how you’re going to die, but you choose how you’re going to live, starting now.
As the great master Aristotle famously said, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
So from now on,  focus everyday on thinking & acting as the version of yourself you’ve envisioned.  And sooner than you think, you will be have become that better version.
Make it happen, and great things will happen in your life!

Phil

More about Motivation and Inspiration for Your Life HERE

 http://www.thefeelgoodlifestyle.com/the-5-minute-exercise-that-helped-me-figure-out-my-life.html

No comments:

Post a Comment